Plan ahead. Constructing a new building is quite involved and requires coordination of multiple approvals from the town and other agencies.
Reach out early to involved parties to initiate conversations and allow time for infrastructure upgrades and approvals.
Before preparing your permit
Some approvals and permits must be in place before you start preparing your building permit application.
Additional permits and documentation may be required before preparing your building permit application, including:
Site plan approval: You must submit an application for site plan approval before applying for a building permit.
Demolition permit: If there is an existing building on your site, you will require a separate demolition permit. A demolition permit is a type of building permit.
Site servicing permit: If you are proposing modifications to the site servicing or installing new services, a separate site servicing permit is required. Contact email@example.com or 905-845-6601 ext 7377
Halton Region services permit: If adding new connections at the street, a Halton Region services permit is required. Learn more at Halton Region permits.
Detailed information is required to properly evaluate your plans and the unique conditions of your property or unit:
Before you get started, consult the zoning by-law to ensure your proposed plans for the unit are permitted under the Town of Oakville's zoning by-laws which regulate the use, shape and location of buildings on properties.
If changing the use or occupancy of the building or unit, a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy is required.
Learn more about zoning in Oakville or contact us at 905-845-6601 ext. 3955.
If you are a new owner or tenant moving into a space or if a change of use is occurring, development charges for the Region of Halton may apply. A non-residential development charge form (pdf) will need to be submitted so the region can review the scope of work and determine if charges are applicable. Development charges must be paid prior to building permit issuance.
Learn more about development charges, including current rates.
If your project is deemed to be substantial redevelopment, then Planning approval is required. Typically, site plan approval is initiated prior to applying for a building permit.
If you are opening a daycare centre, site plan approval may be required. Learn more about planning applications or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your property is in a designated conservation area, contact Conservation Halton for approval at email@example.com or 905-336-1158. Learn more about conservation-related permitting and planning.
In certain instances, approvals from additional agencies are required.
- Halton Region: Business owners or operators are required to notify Halton Region Public Health when they are planning to open to the public, reopen (seasonal), undergo renovations or change in operation and/or services provided to the public including food premises, personal services setting, class A&B pools and tobacco/vapour product retailers. For more information visit Halton Region Public Health Notification of Business Opening, Reopening & Renovation.
- Ministry of Environment approval: If your project changes the use of the building or unit to a more sensitive use you will need to provide a record of site condition from the Ministry of the Environment. An example of a change to a more sensitive use is proposing a daycare centre in a former industrial unit.
- Ministry of Education approval: If your project is for a daycare centre, Montessori school or private school you will need to provide a letter of approval from the Ministry of Education.
- Ministry of Long-Term Care approval: If your project is for a long-term care facility, you will need to provide a letter of approval from the Ministry of Long-Term Care.
- Ministry of Transportation approval: If your property is located close to a major highway as indicated in the MTO designated areas map you will require Ministry of Transportation approval.
Demolition activities may be eligible for a reduction in property tax assessment under Section 357 of the Municipal Act which provides municipalities with the authority to cancel, reduce or refund taxes based on specific criteria.
If you think you are eligible to apply for a property tax adjustment please complete the Application for Cancellation/ Reduction/Refund of Taxes under Section 357 form (pdf) and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submission is the last day of February, the year following the issuance of a demolition permit. A $20.00 fee will apply. Learn more about property tax assessments.
Digital copies of drawings and documents are required, scaled to size and flattened. Typically, an architect, engineer or qualified BCIN designer is retained for the project.
Prepare the following documents:
- Site plan
- Architectural drawings
- Mechanical drawings
- Structural drawings
- Fire alarm system (if modified)
- Kitchen suppression system layout (if modified)
- Plumbing drawings (if modified)
- Sprinkler layout and hydraulic calculations (if modified)
- Commitment to general review (pdf)
- OBC matrix
- Non-residential development charges (pdf)
- Controlled flow roof drain declaration
- Geotechnical calculations or sub soil declaration (pdf)
- SB-10 Form (pdf) along with drawings with supporting documents and calculations
- Schedule 1: Designer information form
- Development finance sign-off, including payment of fees and charges - if applicable to your project and due to prior issuance
- Approval from other agencies - if applicable to your project and due to prior issuance
- Building Permits & Inspections
- Construction Projects
- Non-residential Interior Alterations
- Non-residential Additions and Alterations
- Non-residential New Construction
- Non-residential Demolition
- Temporary Tents and Garden Centres
- Shelf and Rack Storage System
- Part 3 New Residential Construction
- Part 3 Residential Addition and Alteration
- Part 3 Residential Alteration
- Site Servicing
- Solar Panel Installation
- Rates & Fees
Ready for a permit?
You can submit your building permit application online.
Contact Building Services:
905-845-6601 ext. 7377
Build smart. Build safe. Build with a permit.