Most renovation, construction or demolition projects require a building permit. 

You need a permit to make sure your project follows the requirements of the Ontario Building Code, the Town of Oakville Zoning By-law and any other approvals you may need.

Your project must meet zoning regulations even if it doesn’t require a building permit. It is illegal to start construction before receiving a building permit. 

Before starting any project, it is important to check if you need a permit or not.

What to know before requesting a permit

A permit is required prior to building, renovating, demolishing or installing any of the following:

  • Accessory structure like a shed, cabana or gazebo greater than 15 square metres, or any size if it contains plumbing
  • Any building or structure which is greater than 10 square metres or any size building that contains plumbing including accessory structures that are greater than 15 square metres
  • Addition to an existing building
  • Backflow preventer/backwater valve
  • Balcony – either constructing one on a house, apartment or condo, or replacing or repairing guards on an apartment or condo
  • Basement including:
    • Finishing a basement to create rooms or living space
    • Basement apartment (also known as second unit)
    • Excavating to increase existing headroom
  • Below grade entrance or basement walkout
  • Building or structure greater than 10 square metres, or any size that contains plumbing
  • Change the use of a building
  • Communication or transmission tower or antenna greater than 16.6 metres high above ground level
  • Deck greater than 0.61 metres (two feet) in height and is attached to a building
  • Doors – either adding a new door or increasing the size of an existing one
  • Dormers
  • Dust collector 
  • Fire alarm system
  • Fire damage repair
  • Fire suppression system
  • Furnace ducts being altered
  • Garage - attached or detached
  • Gas fireplace used for heating
  • Generator connected to life safety equipment like fire alarms or emergency lighting
  • Geothermal system
  • Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system
  • Interior alterations
  • Kitchen exhaust
  • Loading dock
  • Maglocks
  • Mezzanine
  • Parking structure, like a multi-level parking lot
  • Patio for a restaurant
  • Plumbing fixture like a sink, tub, toilet, or shower that’s added, removed or relocated
  • Plumbing drainage – install, replace or repair
  • Pool - requires a development engineering permit
  • Porch that’s covered
  • Private sewage system – install, replace or repair
  • Re-cladding a building with new material, for example changing siding to brick
  • Roof extensions or alterations to increase the height or change the slope
  • Rooftop HVAC replacements
  • Satellite dish attached to a building, or a dish with an area equal to or greater than 5 square metres
  • Second unit, also called a basement apartment
  • Sewer systems, including sceptic system – install, repair or replace
  • Shoring and excavation
  • Site servicing
  • Skylights
  • Solar panels
  • Spray booths
  • Sprinklers
  • Sump pump on a property in the Foundation Drainage Collection (FDC) System area
  • Temporary tents greater than 60 square metres
  • Underpinning foundation walls
  • Weeping tile repairs or changes on a property in the Foundation Drainage Collection (FDC) System area
  • Windows – either new or increasing the size of an existing window
  • Wood burning fireplace

A permit is not required before building, renovating, demolishing or installing any of the following:

  • Accessory structure like a shed, cabana or gazebo less than 15 square metres that does not contain plumbing
  • Cabinetry or cupboards
  • Concrete pad
  • Damp-proof a basement
  • Deck less than 0.61 mm (two feet) in height and not attached to a building
  • Decorations
  • Doors – replacing an existing one with the same size
  • Driveway – either widening or resurfacing
  • Eavestrough, if the drainage is contained within the property
  • Fence
  • Fireplace that’s decorative gas
  • Landscaping work
  • Minor masonry repairs
  • Painting
  • Parking lots without catch basins that are new, expansions, or painting new lines
  • Plumbing fixture replacement in the same location, for example a sink, tub, toilet, or shower
  • Re-cladding a building with the same material, for example siding to siding, or brick to brick
  • Re-shingling a roof
  • Retaining wall less than one metre high
  • Windows – replacing an existing one with the same size

Building permit fees and charges

The total fees depend on the size, type and use of the proposed project or building. The exact cost of your permit will be calculated once we pre-screen your request. 

The minimum fee for a building permit is $200.


You will be prompted to pay a $60 pre-screening fee when you submit your request online. This non-refundable deposit will be credited towards the total cost of your permit. Subsequent resubmissions are subject to the non-refundable pre-screen fee.

Development charges

There may be additional fees such as development charges or deposits you need to pay before your permit is issued.

All building permit applications are subject to the Large Municipalities Chief Building Officers (LMCBO) development application process timelines. 

Application review times are subject to change depending on request volumes, complexity, staff availability and resubmissions.

We recommend that you apply for your building permit well in advance of your construction date.

Confirm that your project requires a permit

This page contains a list of common projects that may or may not require a permit.

You can also review our list of common renovation, construction, demolition and installation projects to understand more about the application requirements of specific projects.

Check your zoning

Before you start a new project, check the zoning of your property to find out if there are any restrictions on what you can build.

Building Code and Oakville Zoning By-law

Find out if you need additional approvals.

Depending on the type of project you’re working on and where your property is located, you may need other approvals before your building permit can be issued.

Review and complete the Applicable Law Form to indicate which additional approvals may be required for your project. Save this form and be sure to upload it as a supporting document during the application process.

How to request a building permit

Learn about the specific drawings and documents you have to provide to apply for a building permit. 

It's strongly recommended that you work with a design professional such as an architect, professional engineer or qualified designer to create complete and accurate drawings that comply with the

Standardized naming conventions for documents

Name your file using the short form name followed by underscore and then the property address. An example of an architectural drawing set would look like this: Architectural_1225 Trafalgar Road.


Agent Authorization: AgentAuthorization_Property Address
Controlled Flow Roof Drain Declaration: CFRD_Property Address
Demolition Permit Clearances: DemoClearances_Property Address
Energy Efficiency Design Summary (EEDS): EEDS_Property Address
General Review (If in one file): GRF_Property Address
General Review Forms (for separate disciplines):

  • GRF_Arch_Property Address
  • GRF_Mech_Property Address
  • GRF_Elect_Property Address
  • GRF_Struct_Property Address
  • GRF_Fire_Property Address

Other Form: Other_Property Address
Precautions During Excavation with supporting documents: PrecautionsDeclaration_Property Address
SB-10: SB10_Property Address
Schedule -1 for Designers:

  • Schedule1_Designer_Property Address
  • Schedule1_HVAC_Property Address

Water Service Pipe Sizing: WSPS_Property Address


Architectural Drawing Set: Architectural_Property Address
Civil Drawing Set: Civil_Property Address
Electrical Drawing Set: Electrical_Property Address
Fire Protection Drawing Set: FireProtection_Property Address
Landscaping: LandScaping_Property Address
Mechanical Drawing Set: Mechanical_Property Address
Plumbing Drawing Set: Plumbing_Property Address
Site Plan / Grading Plan: SiteGradingPlan_Property Address
Site Survey: SiteSurvey_Property Address
Site Servicing Plan: SiteServicing_Property Address
Structural Drawing Set: Structural_Property Address

Calculations and reports

Building Energy Modelling Report: ModellingReport_Property Address
Fire Protection Report: FireReport_Property Address
Geotechnical Report: Geotechnical_Property Address
Geothermal Calculations: Geothermal_Property Address
HVAC Load Calculations: HVACload_Property Address HVACload_1 Trafalgar Road
Site Servicing Fee Calculation Sheet: SiteServicingCalcs_Property Address
Sprinkler Hydraulic Calculations: HydraulicCalcs_Property Address
Structural Report: StructuralReport_Property address

Other documents

Response Letter: ResponseLetter_Property Address
DENG: DENG_Property Address
Ontario Building Code Matrix: OBC_Matrix_Property Address
Property Owner Single Dwelling Unit Affirmation: SDUAffirmation_Property Address
Response Letter: ResponseLetter_Property Address
Specifications: Specs_Type_Property Address

Help us process your application faster by following the document submission standards.

Submission standards

  1. Organize drawings and documents as separate files. Each document file can contain multiple pages if you are submitting a set of architectural drawings. Forms should be submitted as single documents.
  2. Orient drawings in landscape. Orient forms and documents in portrait.
  3. Save files in Vector PDF format, unlocked/editable, greyscale, flattened into a single layer and free of comments. Tip: To convert drawings created in AutoCAD to vector PDF, use Autodesk Vector Graphic Converter “DWG to PDF.pc3 plotter”.
  4. Submit searchable PDF files for calculations, reports and other supporting documents (non-drawing files), when possible.
  5. If including scanned documents, resolution of 1-bit black-and-white 300 dpi is usually acceptable. For plans and drawings with fine lines and detail, 600 dpi resolution is required. Full-colour renderings and photos may be submitted, but only as supplements to a sufficient set of plans. Grayscale is preferred.
  6. Naming conventions: Please name your files according to the standardized naming conventions list below. This saves significant time in processing your application.
  7. Resubmissions: Use bubbles to denote changes to the drawings and include a response letter detailing how review comments have been addressed. Remember to coordinate changes to drawings that impact other disciplines and supporting documents.

Required forms

Find out which applications and forms you may need to complete to successfully submit your building permit application.

For building application fees and supplementary information please visit the Rates and Fees page.

Submitting applications online

Use Chrome or Safari for the best experience.

If it is your first time using our online services, you need to create a user name and password. If you have an existing account, you can use the same username and password.

Provide information about your project and upload your drawings and documents. You do not need to provide the Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish.

Please follow the submission standards outlined in Step Two to help us process your application quickly.

Submit Your Building Permit Application

Once your application is accepted, you will receive an invoice for payment. Convenient electronic payment options include:

  • Credit card up to $5,000 payable by signing into your town account
  • Email transfer up to $10,000 through your financial institution to
  • Electronic funds transfer (EFT) in any amount with direct payment to the Town of Oakville’s bank account. Please direct the EFT notification to and notify Building Services once payment has been made at
  • For faster processing, please include the permit number and property address with any of the above payment methods.
  • Wire transfer payments are subject to additional fees and may cause permit processing delays. Please choose one of the above preferred payment options when making building permit payments.

For more information, please visit the Electronic Payment Information page. Cheques are still accepted made payable to the Town of Oakville, and mailed or delivered to:

Town of Oakville Attn: Building Services
1225 Trafalgar Road
Oakville, ON L6H 0H3

Once payment is received, your application will progress through a series of reviews. We will provide you with a courtesy status update after each type of review is complete and provide a list of deficiencies that require attention, if applicable. Once all examinations are complete and requirements are satisfied, you will be issued a building permit.

Refusals and resubmissions

If there are issues with your application, you will be provided a notification letter summarizing the deficiencies to be addressed. At this point, you are eligible to resubmit your revised plans that address the deficiency issues. 

Building inspections are required at various stages of construction under the Ontario Building Code to ensure all construction is done in accordance with approved plans. 

Go to the Building Inspections page to learn about the inspection process.