Sheds, Cabanas & Gazebos

A guide to prepare your building permit application for a shed, cabana or gazebo.

If your structure has plumbing or is larger than 15 square metres in size you will need a permit. Please be aware that all sheds, cabanas and gazebos need to comply with the zoning by-law applicable to the property. 

Please refer to the Zoning pages for more information.

Before preparing your permit

Some approvals and permits must be in place before you start preparing your building permit application.

Contact Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255 before you dig to locate underground utilities and avoid damage during construction. 

If you are planning to have electricity run to your structure, contact the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) at or call them at 1-877-372-7233.

Project preparation

Detailed information is needed to properly evaluate your plans and the unique conditions of your property: 

Verify that your plans, proposed dimensions and location are permitted under the Town of Oakville's zoning by-laws which regulate the use, shape and location of buildings on properties. To learn more visit our Zoning page or contact us at 905-845-6601 ext. 3955.

Trees on your property, your neighbour's property and on the municipal right of way may require tree protection, particularly when heavy equipment and excavation is involved. In certain instances, a permit may be required to remove private trees. 

Learn more about tree protection and removal and how to find a licensed arborist.

If your project includes excavation and your property backs onto green space, a river bed or wetland you will need Conservation Halton approval. Learn more at Conservation Halton. Contact Conservation Halton for approval at or 905-336-1158.

Other projects, such as building a pool, fence/gate, retaining wall or other landscaping may also require permits.