Residential Demolition

A guide to prepare your residential demolition (building) permit application.

A demolition permit allows you to remove all or part of a building. The demolition of certain building types, like silos and barns, and non-load bearing interior partitions do not require a demolition permit. 

Interested in letting your non-heritage vacant building be used for emergency services training? Contact Halton Regional Police at and Oakville Fire Department at

Before preparing your permit

Some approvals and permits must be in place before you start preparing your building permit application.

Pre-permit clearances (pdf) must be obtained in advance of applying for a demolition permit. These clearances form part of the demolition permit application. 

Please allow six to eight weeks for the utility providers to sign off on clearances as additional infrastructure or underground work may be required. Please be aware the utility companies may require the building to be vacated or have services disconnected prior to providing a signed clearance. 

Oakville Hydro: Contact or 905-825-9400 to schedule removal of hydro meter. 

Enbridge Gas: Call 1-877-362-7434 to schedule gas service disconnection. 

Region of Halton Public Works: Contact or 905-825-6000 to schedule disconnect for water service and sanitary sewers.

Contact Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255 before you dig to locate underground utilities and avoid damage during construction.

If you plan to construct after the demolition, you will need to apply for a separate building permit

Additional permits or precautions may be required if additional work is being proposed for the property. 

Project preparation

Detailed information is needed to properly evaluate your plans and the unique conditions of your property: 

Heritage properties are managed to conserve important cultural heritage attributes. If your property is on the town's heritage register it may require heritage approval. Learn more on our Heritage Planning page or contact a town Heritage Planner for assistance at 905-845-6601 ext. 3870 or 3875.

Trees on your property, your neighbour's property and on the municipal right of way may require tree protection, particularly when heavy equipment and excavation is involved. In certain instances, a separate permit may be required to remove private trees. Visit our Licensed Contractors page to find an arborist. 

Contact Transportation and Engineering for Engineering Records to determine if there are town easements or or infrastructure on the property and confirm the municipal address. Please contact the Data and Information Technologist at 905-845-6601 ext 3323.  

Other considerations

Every property and project is unique. Additional approvals may apply to your project.

If you are redeveloping your property after demolition, you may be eligible for a development charge credit. The credit is based on the number and type of residential units demolished and/or the total floor area and type of non-residential building or structures demolished, and is available for five years from the issuance date of the demolition permit. This credit, if eligible, is applied against development charges related to the new development. 

To learn more, visit the Development Charges page or contact

Demolition activities to permit redevelopment of a property may be eligible for a reduction in tax assessment under Section 357 of the Municipal Act.

If you think you are eligible to apply for a property tax adjustment, please complete the Application for Cancellation/Reduction/Refund of Taxes under Section 357 form (pdf) and send to 

Deadline for submission is the last day of February, the year following the issuance of a demolition permit. A $20.00 fee will apply. 

To learn more please visit our Property Assessments and Appeals page.