A heritage permit is required to undertake changes to properties designated under the Ontario Heritage Act. Properties that are listed (not designated) in the Heritage Register do not require a heritage permit.
To find out if your property is designated or listed, see the town’s Heritage Districts & Properties.
Before applying for a heritage permit
Contact a Heritage Planner at the town to set up a consultation appointment to find out if you need a heritage permit for your home renovation project.
Apply for a heritage permit
- Our Heritage Permit Guide (pdf) provides an overview of the application process
- Our Heritage Permit Application Form (pdf) is a fillable document and should be submitted to staff digitally
- Our Guide to Heritage Specialists (pdf) contains contacts for tradespeople and companies in southwestern Ontario who have experience working with historic properties and structures
If your property is designated as part of a Heritage Conservation District, you may want to consult the relevant heritage district plan which provides guidelines on how to ensure alterations are sympathetic to your home and the surrounding district.
Heritage permit applications are reviewed by Heritage Planning staff and the Heritage Oakville Advisory Committee at monthly meetings. Meeting dates and submission deadlines are outlined in the 2023 Heritage Permit Application Deadlines Calendar (pdf).
Contact a Heritage Planner
Heritage Planner, District East/West
Carolyn Van Sligtenhorst
Supervisor, Heritage Conservation
905-845-6601 ext. 3875
You might be interested in...
- Planning Studies
- Active Development Applications
- Ward 1 - Development and Site Plan Applications
- Ward 2 - Development and Site Plan Applications
- Ward 3 - Development and Site Plan Applications
- Ward 4 - Development and Site Plan Applications
- Ward 5 - Development and Site Plan Applications
- Ward 6 - Development and Site Plan Applications
- Ward 7 - Development and Site Plan Applications