Claims Requests

Submitting a claim to investigate responsibility.

How to submit a claim

If you have reasons to believe the Town of Oakville might be responsible for property damage or an injury you have experienced, you can submit a claim to the town for investigation.

Your claim must be made in writing and should contain the following information:

  • A description of the damage or injury
  • How the incident happened
  • Date and time of incident
  • Location of incident
  • Names of any witnesses, contractors or town staff involved if possible
  • Photographs, police reports, invoices, if applicable
  • Your full name, address and contact information

In the case of injury on a town roadway or sidewalk, your claim must be submitted to the town within 10 days of the incident, according to Section 44(10) of the Municipal Act, 2001.

When the town receives your claim, an investigation will be initiated by the Risk Management department. You will receive a written reply acknowledging your claim and providing contact information for the staff member assigned to your claim. A decision will be made when all of the information has been reviewed.

If the investigation finds legal liability on the part of the town you may be entitled to reasonable compensation. If the investigation finds that the town is not legally liable, your claim will be declined with an explanation provided.

How you can reach us

Regular mail or in person

Corporation of the Town of Oakville
Attn: Town Clerk
1225 Trafalgar Road
Oakville, ON
L6H 0H3


If you would like to speak to Risk Management staff about the claims process please call 905-845-6601, ext. 3871.