This is Oakville
- 231,000 people live here
- 36 per cent of Oakville residents grew up speaking a language that isn’t English
- Second in GTA for percentage of residents with a bachelor’s degree or higher level of education
- 42 per cent of residents are a member of a visible minority
- 249 kilometres of active recreational trails
- 1,501 kilometres of on/off road cycling and sidewalks
- 1,760 hectares of parklands
- Just over 1 million square feet of recreation and culture space
- Three business improvement areas
- 35,147 businesses
(data as of December 31, 2022)
Get to know us
A vibrant community within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), Oakville is a lakeside town with heritage, preserved and celebrated by residents and visitors. Founded in 1857, Oakville has become one of the most coveted residential and business centres in Ontario, thanks to:
- Great neighbourhoods
- Places to do business
- Quality schools
- A full-service acute care community hospital
- Proximity to Lake Ontario and recreational areas
- Access via QEW, 403, 407 and GO Transit
- Shopping districts in the downtown core
A population of 231,000 residents provides all the advantages of a well-serviced urban centre, while maintaining a small-town feel. Along historic downtown streets, Oakville offers a mix of converted 19th century buildings which accommodate over 400 fine shops, services and restaurants.
Entertainment and leisure
A 30-minute drive from downtown Toronto, and an hour’s drive from the U.S. border, Oakville is a great destination for visitors.
Residents and visitors enjoy entertainment at the Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts or visit the Oakville Museum, located in the home of Oakville’s founding family. Other points of interest include galleries, historical societies and local architecture, especially in heritage neighbourhoods.
Enjoy the acres of park space, many with groomed hiking trails, or join a recreation centre providing programs for all ages. For boaters, Oakville features two picturesque harbours with docks and slips for sail and powerboats.
Oakville's strong and diversified economic base offers an excellent location for both new and expanding businesses. Currently, national and international corporate headquarters represent automotive, technology, business service, aerospace, pharmaceutical and tourism sectors.
Quality of life
People who live here are proud of the quality of life this great community has to offer. In a recent survey of residents, 86 per cent said Oakville is a better place to live than anywhere else in the GTA.
Ideally located in a beautiful natural setting, Oakville offers first-rate facilities and amenities. The outstanding range of lifestyle choices will continue to make this growing community one in which residents and businesses feel a sense of pride and connection.
- Oakville Public Library
- Public Engagement Hub