New to Oakville

A resource guide to help new residents of Oakville find community services.

Whether you are new to the community, or are just looking to learn about local services, you'll find many of the town's community resources listed here. 

You are also welcome to contact us via ServiceOakville at 905-845-6601.

Find your ward

In My Neighbourhood

Enter your address to find out which ward you live in and what town facilities and services are available in your area.   

Community resources

The closest major airport to Oakville is the Toronto Pearson International Airport.

The Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) is responsible for aircraft noise management and noise complaints for flights operating out of Pearson Airport. To learn more about GTAA noise management or to register a noise complaint, please visit the GTAA noise management website.

Transport Canada is a department of the Government of Canada. If you have any comments or concerns please contact your local Member of Parliament.

CORE is a membership-based program that offers community groups and organizations support in delivering their services to the community. This includes casual groups who meet informally and/or play pick-up sports.

Visit the Community Groups (CORE) page for more information.

The Halton Community Services Directory (HCSD) is owned by Halton Information Providers (HIP), a coalition of community resource centres in Halton.

 Listings cover a broad range of programs and services, from access to basic necessities to enhancement of personal and social growth.

Halton's provincial offences court and administrative office is located at 4085 Palladium Way in Burlington. Their administration services are available Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Visit the Halton Court Services website for more information.

Oakville Town Council

Town Council is the legislated governing body for the municipality of Oakville. Council consists of the Mayor and 14 councillors representing the town’s seven wards.

Visit the Mayor and Council page and get to know Mayor Rob Burton and individual Members of Council.

Halton Regional Chair, Local MPPs and MPs

Halton Regional Chair

Gary Carr, Regional Chair
Halton Regional Centre
1151 Bronte Road
Oakville, ON  L6M 3L1
Business: 905-825-6115
Fax: 905-825-8273
Toll Free: 1-866-4HALTON (1-866-442-5866)
TTY: 827-9833

Local Members of Provincial Parliament (MPPs)

Stephen Crawford, MPP, Oakville
74 Rebecca Street, Unit A
Oakville Ontario

Effie Triantafilopoulos, MPP, Oakville North - Burlington
Unit 570, 2525 Old Bronte Road
Oakville, ON

Local Members of Parliament (MPs)

Anita Anand, MP, Oakville
301 Robinson Street
Oakville, Ontario

Pam Damoff, MP, Oakville-North Burlington
2525 Old Bronte Road, Suite 590
Oakville, Ontario

For emergency assistance, call 9-1-1. This service quickly links callers to Police, Fire and/or Ambulance Services.

An emergency includes situations where: 

  • lives are at risk or there is severe bodily injury, 
  • the loss or destruction of property is at risk, or 
  • a crime is in progress or has just occurred.
Non-emergency information

Garbage and recycling pick-up is handled by Halton Region.

Visit the Halton Region website to find information on everything from garbage and blue box pick-up schedules to acceptable items for recycling to yard waste and bulk brush collection.

Oakville is home to the Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital (OTMH).

For emergency assistance, call 9-1-1 to be quickly connected to Ambulance Services.

Visit the Oakville Public Library's Branch Locations page for a list of library branches in Oakville.

Information Oakville is a department of Oakville Public Library. They are dedicated to providing Oakville residents with up-to-date, quality information regarding supports and resources available to the community. Visit the Information Oakville website for more information.

Welcome to Canada and welcome to Oakville! Visit the Oakville Newcomers Club website for info on this club that can help you establish connections in your new community.

You must purchase a dog licence within seven days of becoming a dog owner or seven days from the date that you move to Oakville if you already own a dog. The Oakville identification tag must be affixed at all times. Dogs are not permitted to roam off-leash in the Town of Oakville unless they are on your property or in a designated off-leash dog park.

Cats do not require a licence, however they must be microchipped and/or wear a break away collar with contact information attached. Cats are not allowed to roam at-large, off your property,

For more information about licensing and owning a pet in Oakville, visit the Dogs & Cats page.

Learn more about the town's Animal Control By-law.

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) prepares assessments for all properties in Ontario. The property assessments MPAC provides are what the town uses to determine your property taxes. For more information, visit the MPAC website. 

For information about property taxes and town services, visit our Property Tax and Assessments page.

Public transportation throughout the town is provided by Oakville Transit which offers low-floor, fully accessible conventional buses and care-A-van (para transit) bus service. 

For more information, visit the Oakville Transit website.

The Bronte GO and Oakville GO train and bus stations connect Oakville residents, commuters and visitors with neighbouring communities.

For more information, visit the GO Transit website.

Visit the Halton Region website for services related to to health, housing, social assistance, seniors, pregnancy/parenting, childcare and waste collection.

Visit the ServiceOntario website for services related to health cards, driver's licenses, birth and death certificates, business registration and address changes.

Visit the ServiceCanada website for services related to social insurance cards, income tax, employment insurance, passports, immigration and citizenship, old age security, the Canada Pension Plan and Canada Post mail delivery.

Residents and community associations register each year with the Town of Oakville Clerk's department. The registered information is used for public and corporate reference. By registering with the town, associations receive notification of municipal issues and public meetings which may be relevant to them.

Visit the Residents Associations page for more information.

Oakville has a number of pre-schools, elementary schools, high schools, independent schools and post-secondary institutions. To find out more, explore the following links:

Oakville also has various continuing education programs, and english-as-a-second-language courses. Please visit the Halton Community Services Database for more information.

The Oakville Recreation and Culture department offers four different unique programming options where students can experience hands-on learning in performing arts, studio arts, recreation, and heritage programs. Visit the School Programs page for more information.

For information on town services for older adults, visit these pages:

Examples of services provided by your local municipal government include:

  • Building and construction permits
  • Business licensing
  • Community centres
  • Fire Department
  • Libraries and museums
  • Loose leaf collection
  • Municipal Enforcement Services and By-laws
  • Oakville Transit
  • Parks, harbours and trails
  • Planning services
  • Property taxes
  • Recreation and Culture programming
  • Snow clearing
  • Stormwater management
  • Town tree maintenance

Connect with some of our most popular services, by visiting the Find Town Services page.

You might be interested in