There are a number of community-based programs and services for seniors, including the following:
Halton Seniors Helpline
This telephone service helps address physical, emotional, or financial abuse or neglect. Call 1-866-457-8252 (toll free)
Oakville Meals on Wheels
For decades, Oakville Meals on Wheels has been delivering nutritious meals to residents of Oakville who are unable to attend to their own nutritional needs but wish to continue living independently in their homes.
OTMH outpatient clinics and community programs
Halton Healthcare Services provides a number of programs and services through Oakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital.
For more information visit the Halton Healthcare website.
Emergency Response System
ConnectCARE is an emergency response system run by Halton Healthcare Services and Joseph Brant Memorial Hospital. For more information call 905-338-4357 or 1-800-665-7853 (toll free).
Seniors Working Action Group (SWAG)
The Seniors Working Action Group (SWAG) meets bi-monthly under the authority of the Recreation and Culture department to support the well-being of seniors in Oakville. Their goal is to:
- Represent seniors on the Town of Oakville's Age-Friendly committee
- Advocate for quality of life and dignity of seniors in Oakville.
- Provide seniors-related information to the community.
- Support and review issues of interest and concern such as housing, health care, transportation, and recreation.
Review our meeting minutes from the January meeting (pdf).
For more information, contact Darlene Cox at 905-466-6212 or Julie Pennal, Recreation Coordinator, at 905-845-6601, ext. 3978.
Connection in Action
The Connection in Action Halton Initiative is a community project focusing on adults aged 55 and older who are at risk of or currently experiencing social isolation.
The initiative includes partnerships with organizations who support older adults in Halton.
As our population continues to age and grow, it is increasingly important that people of all ages are aware of older adult social isolation and the negative impacts it can have on the health and well-being of our communities.
The following services are provided by the Town of Oakville:
Driveway snow clearing
The town offers a driveway windrow snow clearing service for residents who are 65+ or have a physical disability.
Visit the Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing program page for details or call ServiceOakville at 905-845-6601.
For more services and community groups search the Halton Community Services Database.
Oakville Transit is a great and convenient way to get around Oakville. Senior fares are available.
Visit the Oakville Transit website for details on rates, schedules and more!
Property tax assistance
Visit the Property Tax Rebates and Assistance page to learn more.
Recreation programs and classes
Visit the Seniors Services page to learn more about registered programs and classes offered at town facilities.
The following services are provided by Halton Region:
- Emergency/short-term assistance
- Supportive housing programs
- Long-term care options
- Adult Day programs
- Fall prevention strategies, and more.
For more information visit the Halton Region website or call 311 (or 905-825-6000).
The following services are provided by the Ontario Government:
- General information about provincial government programs and services: 1-800-267-8097
- Provincial government services for seniors (Seniors’ INFOline): 1-888-910-1999
- Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care: 1-800-268-1154
For more information visit the Ontario Government's website.
The following services are provided by the Government of Canada:
- Income security programs like Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and Retirement Pension
- Veterans Affairs Canada
- Telefile Canada (a call-in tax-return service for eligible seniors)
- For general information about Government of Canada programs and services call 1-800-622-6232.
For forms, information, income security, programs, employment insurance or job information, call 1-800-277-9914 (toll free) or the Services Canada Centre in Oakville at 1-800-959-9522.
For more information, visit the Government of Canada website.
- Oakville Public Library
- Public Engagement Hub