Marriage Licence

Apply for a marriage licence to get married in Ontario.

Your marriage licence can be used anywhere in Ontario, and must be used within 90 days from the date it was issued.  

Applying for a marriage licence

To apply for a marriage licence, you need to have the following:

  • An intended date of your marriage that is finalized and within 90 days from the receipt of your marriage licence
  • An officiant that has agreed to perform the marriage
  • A wedding location in Ontario

Age requirement

Applicants must be 18 years or older.

Applicants 16 or 17 years of age, require both parents/guardian to complete Form 6 – Consent of Parents or Guardians to Marriage, which must be completed and signed in front of a Commissioner of Oaths. The applicant must bring this commissioned form to their scheduled appointment.

Acceptable identification

  • Applicants must have two pieces of original, current and valid identification which must be presented for each applicant at the appointment.
  • One of the government-issued IDs must include a current photo and signature.
  • First and last name must match exactly on the two pieces of ID.
  • To have your middle name on your marriage licence it must appear on both pieces of ID.
  • Accepted pieces of ID include:
    • Passport
    • Driver's Licence
    • Ontario Photo ID Card
    • Birth Certificate
    • Canadian Citizenship/Permanent Resident Card
    • Record of Immigrant Landing

Divorce documents, if applicable

  • If applicable, you must present supporting original divorce documents
  • If you or your partner were previously married and the marriage was dissolved or annulled in Canada, the original or court-certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be presented with your application when applying for a marriage licence. A divorce judgment or order is not acceptable. If you do not have the Certificate of Divorce, you will need to contact the court where the divorce was granted to obtain one. Visit the Ontario Government website for a list of Ontario court addresses.
  • If you have an Electronic Certificate of Divorce:
    • you must bring a printed copy to your appointment
    • you must forward the email from the courthouse to prior to your appointment. The email has to be from the issuing Canadian Court. Emails from an attorney or other third party will not be accepted.
  • If you or your partner were previously divorced outside of Canada, authorization from the Office of the Registrar General must be obtained before a marriage licence can be issued.

Fees and next steps

The application fee of $172 is payable at your appointment by debit, MasterCard, Visa, American Express (cash will not be accepted).

After you schedule your appointment you will receive an email containing your marriage licence application and date of your appointment.


If you require further information, please contact

Marriage licence application services are by appointment only and are offered Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Ceremonies are offered on Thursdays and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

At this time, availability is limited and same-day requests cannot be accommodated. Town staff will review your requested date and contact you with an available appointment time. 

Once you have submitted your request you will receive a response within five business days. Please monitor your junk and spam email folders so that you do not miss your appointment. 

Request a marriage licence appointment

Civil ceremonies

Visit the Civil Marriage Ceremonies page for everything you'll need to know if you would like to have a marriage ceremony at Town Hall.