As of January 2024, municipal oversight of towing and storage yards will end when regulatory oversight will shift to the province under regulations found in the Towing and Storage Safety and Enforcement Act (TSSEA).
As such, the town has introduced a six-month licence with a pro-rated fee to allow for the continuation of our municipal licensing program until January 2024.
Tow truck companies and motor vehicle storage yards will continue to require a valid tow truck business license from the Town of Oakville, with renewal beginning June 30, 2023, to the period ending Dec 31, 2023.
Tow trucks and motor vehicle storage yards require a license to operate in Oakville. Check the back of the tow truck for a Town of Oakville licence plate and current sticker to ensure the company is licensed to operate in Oakville. Review the Towing Consumers’ Bill of Rights.
Similar to the licensing of other existing industries such as taxis and limousines, annual licensing of tow truck companies will help ensure consumer protection and promote safety within the industry.
Owners of private lots have the right to remove unauthorized vehicles parked on their property. Please check for signage and regulations when parking your vehicle.
The Tow Truck Licensing By-law will regulate the fees charged when a vehicle is towed from private property without the owner’s consent. If a vehicle is towed from private property without the owner’s consent, the vehicle must be towed to a licensed motor vehicle storage yard within Oakville.
Towing rates from private parking lots without vehicle owner’s consent (as of January 1, 2020):
- Maximum $150 per vehicle, or
- $75 lifting fee
A fee for either towing or lifting (vehicle has been placed in position on the tow truck but has not left the private property) can be charged, but not both. No fee can be charged for wait time. Drop fees cannot be charged. The tow truck driver must release the vehicle once it has been lifted if the motorist returns to the parking lot before the vehicle is towed. The lifting fee would still apply.
Please refer to the Tow Truck Licensing By-law for specific regulations and requirements.
Apply for a tow truck licence
You can now submit your business licence application online. Use Chrome or Safari for the best experience. If this is your first time using the town’s online services, you will need to create an account by setting up a username and password. Select sign in and then select the option to sign up. If you already have a town account, you may be able to use your username and password which you previously created.
You might be interested in
- Building & Renovations
- Building Permits & Inspections
- Construction Projects
- Non-residential Interior Alterations
- Non-residential Additions and Alterations
- Non-residential New Construction
- Non-residential Demolition
- Temporary Tents and Garden Centres
- Shelf and Rack Storage System
- Part 3 New Residential Construction
- Part 3 Residential Addition and Alteration
- Part 3 Residential Alteration
- Site Servicing
- Solar Panel Installation
- Rates & Fees
- Planning & Development
- Planning Studies
- Active Development Applications
- Ward 1 - Development and Site Plan Applications
- Ward 2 - Development and Site Plan Applications
- Ward 3 - Development and Site Plan Applications
- Ward 4 - Development and Site Plan Applications
- Ward 5 - Development and Site Plan Applications
- Ward 6 - Development and Site Plan Applications
- Ward 7 - Development and Site Plan Applications